Back

Corporate Information History

1947-1963: Establishment

Nipro was founded in 1947 as a light bulb recycling business. In 1954, Nihon Glass Shoji Co. Ltd. (currently Nipro Corporation) was established, and began marketing glass tubes for ampoules. Our products included not only medical glass but also small light bulbs and glass for thermos bottles. The company also entered the supermarket business (later Nissho Store).

1947 Our founder Minoru Sano, 20, started a light bulb recycling business in Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, with the assistance of Biwako Natural Gas Co., Ltd.
1950 Biwako Denkyu Seisakujo LLC was established in Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, and began trading with the Glass Section of NEC Corporation (later Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd.).
1954
Development of automatic processing machines for inner glass flasks of thermos bottles/automation of ampoule processing
Nihon Glass Shoji Co. Ltd. was established in Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto, starting to sell glass tubes for ampoules and pill bottles.
1959 The Head Office moved to Oyodo-Ku (current Kita-Ku), Osaka.
1960 Otsu Factory (current Biwako Factory in Kusatsu, Shiga Prefecture) was built in Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, starting the production of glass bottles and small light bulbs.
1963
Development of automatic processing machines for inner flasks of thermos bottles

Start of supermarket business
Automatic machines for processing inner flasks of thermos bottles were developed, and the company began selling glass for thermos bottles. The company also entered the supermarket business.

Page top